This group met on Thursdays at 4:00-5:00 at Panera Bread in the Hendrix Village on Sep. 14th, Oct. 12th, Nov. 9th, Dec. 7th.
The Film and Spirit discussion series focused on the power of storytelling, the benefit of a shared experience, and thoughtful dialogue on ethical, moral, and religious questions. The intention of each film in the series was to open up dialogue on questions or themes that the films present and how we can broaden those themes into a shared vision of the world.
The discussions followed the guidelines of Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat’s Spiritual Alphabet. They provide a template for developing spiritual literacy, as well as, valuable resources and reviews on the films that are explored.
Accompanying each film are subsequent material that broaden the themes and vision of each film, in order, to give the topics real-world applications and focus.
I: Into the Wild (Sep. 14th; Focus: Nature, Beauty, Yearning, and Transformation)
– Louie Schwartzberg: Nature, Beauty, and Gratitude. https://www.ted.com/talks/louie_schwartzberg_nature_beauty_gratitude
– Karen Bass: Unseen footage, untamed nature. https://www.ted.com/talks/karen_bass_unseen_footage_untamed_nature
– John Francis: Walk the Earth….my 17 year vow of silence. https://www.ted.com/talks/john_francis_walks_the_earth
ll: The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (Oct. 12th; Focus: Global Citizenship, Travel, Fat Soulhood, and Transformation)
– Pico Iyer: Where is Home? https://www.ted.com/talks/pico_iyer_where_is_home
– Shekhar Kapur: We are the stories we tell ourselves. https://www.ted.com/talks/shekhar_kapur_we_are_the_stories_we_tell_ourselves
– Hugh Evans: What does it mean to be a Global Citizen? https://www.ted.com/talks/hugh_evans_what_does_it_mean_to_be_a_citizen_of_the_world
lll: Hector and the Search for Happiness (Nov. 9th; Focus: Compassion, Joy, Peace, Meaning, Inner Journey)
– Krista Tippet: Reconnecting with Compassion. https://www.ted.com/talks/krista_tippett_reconnecting_with_compassion
– Joanna Macy: A Wild Love for the World Podcast. joanna-macy-wild-love-world-2
– Karen Armstrong: My Wish-the Charter for Compassion. https://www.ted.com/talks/karen_armstrong_makes_her_ted_prize_wish_the_charter_for_compassion
IV: The Tree of Life (Dec. 7th; Focus: Meaning, Contemplation, Silence, Vision, Meditation)
– Pico Iyer: The art of stillness. https://www.ted.com/talks/pico_iyer_the_art_of_stillness
– Jon Kabat-Zinn: Opening to Our Lives podcast. https://onbeing.org/programs/jon-kabat-zinn-opening-to-our-lives/
– Brene Brown: The Power of Vulnerability. https://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability